Thursday, September 10, 2026

My Observations About Temples

This morning just for fun I asked Grok to summarize my postings on X about temples. This was the result, and I now share it on a broader platform for all those who are interested. . .

Summary of @david_goates' recent X posts about temples

Your posts treat temples as a mix of personal worship, family history work, local news, and spiritual teaching. Most activity centers on Utah temples (Lindon, Taylorsville, Salt Lake, Mount Timpanogos, Provo City Center, and the upcoming Heber City Temple).

Visits and photos

You regularly post pictures from temple grounds or sessions and note when you’re there “on the way to somewhere else.” Examples include Lindon Temple, Taylorsville Temple, Mount Timpanogos Temple, and a “twofer” day at Provo City Center and Lindon. You often mention doing family names (including very old ones from the 1600s) and adding names to the prayer roll.

Family and ordinances

One post highlights going with three daughters for an endowment session and how much you cherish that time together. Other posts tie temple attendance to faith, repentance, and exaltation—“Temples point the way to eternal life.”

News and construction

You share Church News and Deseret News links about the Salt Lake Temple open house (ticket batches and reservation dates) and updates on what’s coming to Temple Square. You also posted that you’re praying for the Heber City Temple to be finished.

Tone
The posts are consistently positive, faith-affirming, and low-key personal rather than argumentative. Engagement is highest on the photo posts from actual visits (especially Lindon and Taylorsville) and the family-history “twofer” post.

Overall, the thread of your temple posts is: temples are places you actually go, do work for ancestors, take family, and treat as the practical path to eternal life — not just symbols.

* * *

I confess that I am a newcomer to Grok, but this morning I learned something about myself that I could have never known without AI in my life. I became a fan.

Yesterday to celebrate my 79th (whew!) birthday by attending an endowment session in the Bountiful Temple. I went fasting and was rewarded with an answer to earnest prayers I have been offering for well over a year now. That smile on my face says it all without having to spell it all out in detail on this very public stage.

I am forever grateful to my Father in Heaven for prolonging my life after a brain tumor was discovered and removed in 2020. I was healed and have lived on in mortality despite that diagnosis. I am grateful beyond my ability to express it, and I consider myself to be a practiced writer (I won't say "accomplished," just "practiced"). He has been so good to me, and I acknowledge His love for me and my family that cannot be denied.

The temples in Utah are now abundant and offer me choices each week. Patsy and I served as ordinance workers in the Salt Lake Temple until it closed at the end of 2019 for the extensive renovations that ensued. At that time following my recovery we were offered positions at the Jordan River Temple as ordinances workers, but we decided to attend the temples of our choice to do the actual ordinance work for our ancestors. That's a work I have continued to do since her death on July 25th, 2023. I continue to attend various temples within an hour's reach of me to pursue the vicarious ordinances for them as they wait in the spirit world. There are many instances to which I can attest of their nearness to me when performing those ordinances on their behalf. I am so certain they will one day greet me in the spirit world with gratitude for that sacred role I have played for them in their eternal progression.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is restored to the Earth in our day. Of that I am a living witness. As I was seated in the chapel yesterday in the Bountiful Temple, my Book of Mormon opened to 3 Nephi 11.

28 And according as I have commanded you thus shall ye baptize. And there shall be no disputations among you, as there have hitherto been; neither shall there be disputations among you concerning the points of my doctrine, as there have hitherto been.

29 For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.

30 Behold, this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men with anger, one against another; but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away.

31 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will declare unto you my doctrine.

32 And this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me.

33 And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.

34 And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned.

35 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.

36 And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one.

37 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.

38 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.

39 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them.

40 And whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them.

41 Therefore, go forth unto this people, and declare the words which I have spoken, unto the ends of the earth. (Emphasis mine).

* * *

From time to time we need to revisit the Savior's teachings among the Nephites following His resurrection. His doctrine puts to rest whatever disputes there may be "out there" in the seemingly erudite and intelligent community who are unfamiliar with our doctrine. I am routinely criticized on social media for my posts about doctrine, "my doctrine," as He defined it Himself. Rather than get drawn into doctrinal disputes with detractors, I refer them simply to His words. His doctrine is not complicated, and I have no duty to defend it anywhere or anytime. His words are clear and simple. Accept them or reject them, they are not confusing or difficult to comprehend them. I pray that increasingly we will be bold enough to declare them to the world as it tends to sink lower without His light.

I am practicing "becoming as a little child every day" as I now embark upon my 80th year on this planet. The older I grow the simpler it seems to me now. . .

Bountiful Temple Yesterday


No comments:

Post a Comment