Thursday, October 5, 2023

What We Need Today Is a Little More Hope

The recent semi-annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints wrapped up last weekend. It was an inspiring event, filled with hopeful messages and inspiration from our leaders. I was asked several times what my favorite messages were. Without hesitation I responded that I loved the talk delivered by Sister Tamara W. Runia, First Counselor in the Young Women's General Presidency. I loved it because it was so full of hope for the future. I commend her words to all of us as we seek to see the human family through the "overview lens" she shared with us:

Sister Tamara W. Runia

On the heels of the hope-filled General Conference, came this disturbing report of a recent poll. I read the results earlier this morning, and I have to confess if I did not believe what I believe, and have the hope in a loving Heavenly Father and His Son, our Redeemer, Jesus Christ, I would be one of those who also could find little to salute in the conditions of the world around us. I would be without hope in this world. 

It would seem the participants in that particular poll are anything but hopeful. Fully 71% of the respondents said they have no hope that the government can prevent the inevitable outcome of a worldwide holocaust. 

According to a survey of 6,200 Americans conducted by BonusFinder.com, 71.2 percent of Americans say they have no faith in the U.S. government to save them or prevent a doomsday event. Even more unnerving, many respondents believe Doomsday could come within the next year.

Over half the poll (55.8%) think Doomsday will come in the form of a climate change-related catastrophe, while a third believe another virus will sweep the globe and a quarter of respondents fear the start of World War III. Another seven percent are betting on an alien invasion, while the same number believe 2024 will finally be the year zombies walk the Earth.

Given the dismal findings of the poll (zombies, really?), as I read through it I wondered, "Okay, I get it, people don't believe the government will be able to do anything to help them. So, what takes the place of the government in avoiding the dismal outcomes people are fearing most?"

For the answer to my own question, I looked to the concluding speaker at the Conference, 99-year-old President Russell M. Nelson, certainly a trusted and reliable voice of reason, hope and testimony. He urged us all to "think celestial" when confronting all our life's troubles.

President Russell M. Nelson

Not only is our beloved Prophet filled with hope for the future, but he announced the pending construction of another twenty temples located throughout the world. Does that sound like a Doomsday scenario? Hardly!

He testified: "Time today does not allow me to answer that question fully, but may I share one of the most crucial lessons I have learned. 

"I have learned that Heavenly Father’s plan for us is fabulous, that what we do in this life really matters, and that the Savior’s Atonement is what makes our Father’s plan possible.(John 6:38)."

He continued: "When you are confronted with a dilemma, think celestial! When tested by temptation, think celestial! When life or loved ones let you down, think celestial! When someone dies prematurely, think celestial. When someone lingers with a devastating illness, think celestial. When the pressures of life crowd in upon you, think celestial! As you recover from an accident or injury, as I am doing now, think celestial!" (emphasis mine).

I might be more susceptible to seeking messages of hope than many of the rest of you, given my current situation of having witnessed my wife's sudden death. Her passing has left me very lonely physically, and were it not for the absolute knowledge I have of our eternal sealing that ensures our life together after mortality, I might be tempted to believe the end of the world as I know it might come as early as next year. 

Patsy Goates

However, knowing what I know spiritually makes all the difference. I will continue to abide in faith in the future, come what may. I am going to think celestial from here on in. I invite you to join me.


No comments:

Post a Comment