Wednesday, February 14, 2024

"I Love Jesus"

This morning I stopped in for breakfast at my favorite bagel joint. The girl behind the counter was dressed like so many her age - you've seen the look - knit cap, heavy sweatshirt with the company logo, baggy sweats, sneakers, lots of piercings and tattoos, including a nose ring and earrings. But the most prominent piece of jewelry was a cross hanging around her neck. I asked, "Tell me about that beautiful necklace you're wearing." To which she responded, "It's because I love Jesus."

You know, so do I. She was a kindred spirit to me. 

That got me thinking about how many levels of love for Jesus there must be in the world today. We all tend to express it in our own way. As our conversation unfolded, she mentioned "The Chosen" is her favorite TV show. She loved how Jesus is portrayed in that series. "He is so kind," she told me. "He loves everyone, and He blesses everyone around Him." 

Jesus Christ truly is the Son of God. He came into the world unheralded and unwelcomed in a time and a place when His people were under subjugation to the Roman Empire. There was much of poverty and punishment to keep the subjects of the Emperor in check. Jerusalem was the acknowledged capitol of Judaism, but it was merely tolerated, not embraced by the Romans, who were an occupying army and were hated and despised by their subjects. The Temple stood as a beacon of hope for the Jews, but even the temple, its ordinances, practices and rituals had been corrupted. It was not a happy environment into which the Savior had come. He cleansed the temple environs twice during His public ministry. 

I have been musing since returning home this morning that my friend behind the counter must surely be content in her admiration for Jesus, enough so that she wore the cross boldly and gladly around her neck. I thought, "What outward symbol would I project? Would there be enough evidence to suggest that I am a disciple of Jesus, or would people observing my outward appearance wonder at my allegiance?"

The closest I came to wearing a cross in my life was my Sigma Chi fraternity ring bearing the image of The White Cross of Sigma Chi. Indeed, upon seeing it when I was serving as a missionary in Northern England, 1967-69, people would sometimes comment that I must be a Catholic father. Some would even take my hand and kiss my ring as a show of worship. 

What I have come to understand later in life is that His image must be reflected in our countenances if we are to accurately be a representation of His grace for us and an example to others. I hope people can seen in my face the commitment within my heart. You can't live a lie and hope to deceive others. 

I have been reflecting on the words of an old favorite hymn "The King of Love My Shepherd Is."

The words are powerful:

1 The King of love my shepherd is, whose goodness faileth never. I nothing lack if I am his, and he is mine forever.

2 Where streams of living water flow, my ransomed soul he leadeth; and where the verdant pastures grow, with food celestial feedeth.

3 Perverse and foolish, oft I strayed, but yet in love he sought me; and on his shoulder gently laid, and home, rejoicing, brought me.

4 In death's dark vale I fear no ill, with thee, dear Lord, beside me; thy rod and staff my comfort still, thy cross before to guide me.

5 Thou spreadst a table in my sight; thy unction grace bestoweth; and oh, what transport of delight from thy pure chalice floweth!

6 And so through all the length of days, thy goodness faileth never; Good Shepherd, may I sing thy praise within thy house forever. (United Methodist Hymnal, 1989).

I make a point of suggesting this morning that our collective love for Jesus may take many forms, and many churches together make a beautiful chorus of praise for our Savior. We must embrace and adore the admiration each has for Him. We may not agree on every point of doctrine, but like my friend behind the bagel counter we can accept one another's testimony on whatever level it may present itself. 

In it all, let us reflect our love for Him by doing the best we can to truly represent Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment