Wednesday, December 8, 2021

A 500,000 visitor milestone

I couldn't let this day go by without acknowledging all the readers who have clicked on The Goates Notes over the years. Sometime overnight the total visitors to this site turned over 500,000 - amazing!

I pause here to talk a little bit about how I began blogging. Daughter Melanie thought I should start a blog way back when, to which I responded, "What's a blog?" I found that Google sponsored something called "Blogspot" and that's the platform I went with. I had lots of advice in those early years about how to increase readership, and I heard about algorithms and how to attract advertisers, and SEO, but clueless as I was I ignored most of it. This blog has grown organically, and it has touched readers in 26 countries that I know about based on the feedback I've received from Google. 

Along the way advertisers came along, and I started earning small dividends from it with each click on one of the ads that were installed on the site. I am still somewhat surprised at how the number of visitors has kept climbing through the years. To all of you I extend my thanks and best wishes for a very Merry Christmas season.

This has been a momentous month for our family. We had a traditional Thanksgiving feast and gingerbread house building on the next Saturday. Always a big day around here. Then we bade farewell to grandson Alex Goates, who is now in the Peru MTC, and last night a granddaughter, Molly Bayles, opened her mission call to St. Louis, Missouri, reporting March 14, 2022. That's the same mission where daughter-in-law Shauna served, and where daughter Merilee and her family are living until graduation from dental school next spring. 

We also barely returned last night from a little road trip over the weekend to hear all five Sharp grandchildren perform in a choral concert in Broomfield, CO. I'm not sure where the three girls and two boys will go with their Sharp Family Singers career from here, but they sing like angels and I can always say that I knew them when. I don't imagine there will ever be a time again when we might hear them all singing together, and it was so fun to hear a holiday choral concert to put us in the mood for the holidays. Some of Patsy's and my favorite high school memories involve singing in Lorraine Bowman's A'cappella choir and Madrigals groups at East High School. Music and Christmas are so synonymous for us. 

Equally thrilling was listening in on Sunday night to the First Presidency Christmas program featuring the full Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square. Instead of its traditional Christmas concert, the Choir released an album as a compilation of fifteen years of past performances of the Choir's Christmas concerts. Once again in 2021 the concert was curtailed because of the pandemic. I noted today that their new Christmas album just hit the No. 1 spot on the Billboard listings. It's a sign that things on the pandemic front are slowly returning to normal and it's so heartening to have that blessing in our lives again.

We drove back home through the mountains of Colorado, stopping in Steamboat Springs along the way. Our favorite shop in Steamboat was "Cowboys and Indians" - check it out when you go through there or online by clicking their link. Like Utah, Colorado has gone a record number of days without measurable snow accumulation. I was excited to see that a big snowstorm is headed our way this week.

I can't leave this entry without acknowledging the outstanding achievements of all “Big Three" football programs this year. Utah won the PAC-12 and a berth against Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. 

Utah State won the Mountain West after a dismal one-win season last year, and BYU finished 10-2 for a berth in the Independence Bowl and garnered an invite to join the Big 12 in 2023. It's been by far the biggest year in Utah football for 100 years. When you come from a football crazed state like Ohio or Texas this just doesn't seem like that big a deal, but when you're talking Utah it's about as good as winning the Super Bowl.


All three coaches are in the final round of being nominated for the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year honors nationally, but that award will likely go to Cincinnati's head coach, Luke Fickell, for their outstanding season finishing in the top six at the end of the year and a berth in a New Year's Day bowl. (update: Jim Harbaugh at Michigan won it). Whittingham led the way for PAC-12 honors with two of his players in year-end announcements.

My year in review would have to include successful brain tumor surgery, and managing somehow to avoid contracting the COVID-19 virus. I am perpetually grateful for our family who continue to inspire us with their faithfulness and their continued love and support of us as we inevitably deteriorate over time. 

We are concluding our study of the Doctrine and Covenants and Church history at the end of this year. I am continually and perpetually impressed with the achievements of Joseph Smith. His diligence and faithfulness in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds stacked against him are astounding. Next year we take up the Old Testament study. Already people are asking where they can get their hands on a good commentary on the Old Testament. My answer is to rely upon the impressions of the Holy Ghost. There is nothing intimidating about the Old Testament. It's 4,000 years of history of God's dealings with His children, and the story lines are as real as today's headlines. 

Let's look ahead with gratitude for a Happy New Year in 2022. 

And thanks for 500,000 clicks into The Goates Notes! My love to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment