Monday, June 28, 2010

SCOTUS rules no gun control in ALL 50 states


I'm not a big guns advocate, let's make that clear right up front.  I own a .22 caliber rifle to kill those pesky pot guts that get into Grandma Patsy's garden.

I was an expert marksman with my M-16 back in my Army Reserve days, but am I a rabid proponent of owning lots of guns and carrying concealed weapons?  No.  But I like to think I could if I were so inclined.  I like the notion of freedom.

That said, this is an encouraging ruling for the right and the freedom to bear arms. 

Today, in its second major ruling on gun rights in three years, the Supreme Court extended the federally protected right to keep and bear arms to all 50 states. The decision will be hailed by gun rights advocates and comes over the opposition of gun control groups, the city of Chicago and four justices.

The ruling passed by the slim margin of 5-4.  So far so good.  Justice Samuel Alito wrote for the five justice majority saying "the right to keep and bear arms must be regarded as a substantive guarantee, not a prohibition that could be ignored so long as the States legislated in an evenhanded manner."

Elections matter.  The POTUS nominates justices to the SCOTUS.  The Senate confirms or denies those nominations.  There's another pivotal hearing that just commenced today.  If confirmed, Obama's nominee will tip the scales for a half century to come.  Her liberal creds are well-documented, but she has never served as a judge.

Elections control the balance of power.  That's why they matter.

A 5-4 margin is razor thin.

Don't fall asleep at the switch this November.  Wake up, and stay awake!

No comments:

Post a Comment